olivia

olivia

Goodreads expatriate seeking a new online book community. I'm currently testing BookLikes to see if it could be home.

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)

Storm Front - Jim Butcher

I'd been advised by several friends to "give this series time." From disparate peer groups that do not interact, I'd heard "it gets better."

If that's so, I'm looking forward to the next Dresden book all the more. Because, honestly, I thought this one was quite entertaining.

It's true that the villain is obvious fairly early on. The naming of the NeverNever sounds a bit childish to me, and the whole soulgazing thing seems a bit awkward to me. Murphy seems somewhat thinly drawn at this point. However, these are likely just tiny smudges on a gem that will become more polished with each successive novel in the series.

These books have a lot of personality, and I appreciated the way Butcher sketched out the details of Harry's world. He could've left out a lot of atmospheric details, assuming that most readers have some sense of what Chicago looks like, but I'm glad he didn't: his language makes it Harry's Chicago, and cocoons readers in the wonderful, gauzy rain of a genre that's new to me: magical noir.

I appreciate the sense of humor and warmth that pervaded Storm Front, and I look forward to getting to know Harry, Murphy, Bob, the White Council, and Dresden's Chicago even better as I progress through the series.