olivia

olivia

Goodreads expatriate seeking a new online book community. I'm currently testing BookLikes to see if it could be home.

SPOILER ALERT!

Towers of Midnight

Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time, #13; A Memory of Light, #2) - Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson

Caution: This review contains minor spoilers.

I have the impression that Brandon Sanderson, who has done an outstanding job with the Herculean task of finishing Robert Jordan's epic, The Wheel of Time, is tremendously fond of Perrin Aybara. I have this impression because there's an awful lot of Perrin in this book. I didn't count the chapters, but trust me: if you like Perrin, you'll like Towers of Midnight.

I don't dislike Perrin, but at this point in the story, there are several plot threads with rather interesting content, and I find most of those more engaging than his story. There's one in particular that I was dying to know about, and after 700 pages of mostly Perrin, I was getting extremely impatient. I won't post it here because it's too spoilery.

That's my primary complaint about Towers of Midnight, and it's why I'm giving the book four stars instead of five. I actually prefer the way Sanderson writes many of the characters, and if it had had more of any other character to balance the Perrin scales, I'd give it a higher rating.

On the plus side, Aviendha gets one of my two favorite scenes in the book; Mat gets the other. Again, I'll say no more, because they're both major spoilers.

PS: I still detest Tuon. I despise the way she treats Mat.